Tea Party Candidates Replacing More Conservative GOP Types

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Moen1305, Aug 12, 2010.

  1. Lehigh96

    Lehigh96 Clown Hater

    Moen,

    You should celebrate what you call a shift to the right. The example you provided was of a Republican primary. The more to the right the Republican candidates move, the worse they will do in the midterm elections. Unlike primary voters who are typically strong supporters of their particular party, the general electorate is mostly comprised of centrists who will often choose the least radical of the two candidates. I find it funny that what wins you the primary can lose you the general election.

    I still contend that you characterization of the right is exactly the same as what you are accusing the Republican right of doing to the left. I agree with the article posted in the original post, I just don't think that the primary voters actions qualify as a move to the right. I believe they always felt this way but in the past had the sense to vote for the candidate who could accomplish two goals. First, the candidate needs to embody the core values of the Republican party, second the candidate needs to be able to defeat the Democratic opponent in the election. The primary voters seem to have lost sight of goal number two.

    The Democrats had better hope that the centrist population does not fall for the upcoming Republican strategy. I think you will see across the board, Republican candidates simply pointing out how bad things are and pointing the finger of blame squarely at the Democratic incumbent. If the general electorate falls for this, it won't matter how far right the Republican candidate is, the incumbent will lose. I foresee negative campaign ads as far as the eye can see.
     
  2. De Orc

    De Orc Well-Known Member

    Never said that far right was a Millitery dictatorship they come in all shades. Same as I never said that far left was Communist or Socialist it could also be Marxist or Maoist :)
    Please dont assume I said things I didnt LOL

    The ideologies usually associated with the far right include fascism, Nazism and other ultra-nationalist, Theocracies or even a Goverment run by Industrialists.
    The Extreem left can in fact be broken down into 2 main groupings an economic far left "communism" and the Social Extreem of anarchism
     
  3. David

    David Proud Enemy of Hillary

    The far left element of the democratic party has always been there...it just chooses when to rear it's ugly head- it's a timing thing. Nearly all the planks of the democrat platform are left of center, the difference is just how far they choose to push & to what extreme.
    Healthcare, for example, was pushed to the extent it was simply because the far left machine (that helped BO get elected) demanded it. Problem was, the public didn't like, the politicians knew it sucked so it got watered down to the point that neither the libs or the general public believed it to be a good idea. Yet we are stuck with it!
     
  4. Stujoe

    Stujoe Well-Known Member

    Being for partial birth abortions is left of most women, left of center and left of left no matter how you want to rationalize it.

    And saying that any restriction is a path to outlawing something is a typical extremist viewpoint. Black and white. No different than the nut-bags on the right saying that banning assault weapons and grenade launchers will lead to the outlawing of all guns.

    But, really, there isn't a lot of point in pointing this out to you because I suspect you are smart enough to know it already. Which is why I don't spend a lot of time doing people's research for them here. There is not enough intellectual honesty to make it worth the effort. Probably not enough on this whole site to fill a thimble. ;) If anyone was really interested, they would just go ahead and look up the voting records for themselves.
     

Share This Page