Republican Jesus

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Takiji, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

2. JoeNation
    Cheerful

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

Religious belief systems morph as the times dictate. Elvis Presley will be a religious movement in like a 100 years. Whatever it takes to make the weak-minded believe and follow any idiotic belief is all that matters. Parents pass them on to their kids, kids grow up and pass them on to their kids with the help of the grandparents and on and on and on.... The basics of belief systems remain but the marketing adapts to the culture. You'd have to be a brainless drone to believe any of it once you reach adulthood. Kids I can forgive, adults are just believing out of a lazy habit.

Takiji likes this.
  3. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

Catholicism is just a looney as Mormonism is and they are both in the same league with Scientology. The first is considered respectable and mainstream, the second is almost there, and give the third about 50 more years and it will be considered boringly acceptable too. I probably won't be around in 100 years to join the Holy Universal Church of Elvis, though.

JoeNation likes this.
  4. JoeNation
    Cheerful

Well, Thank You....Thank you very much! :)
    I don't discriminate between the major organized religions. They all pretty much believe in the same basic nonsense as each other but go about worshiping in slightly different ways. I grew up in a Catholic school and once I left, never looked back. I know Catholics very well and still have Catholic relatives but my family has nothing to do with the religion. Organized religion has never been about anything but societal control and power. Although they took a major hit after the enlightenment, which they fought tooth and nail against, they still wield considerable influence in society and would happily move in and take over if the political powers faltered. Theocracies exist today mostly in poor countries and excessively wealthy oligarchies like Saudi Arabia. They dictate every aspect of their citizens lives based on their crazy religious beliefs. They tribal societies steeped in superstition and dogma for the most part. At best, religion should be studied as a historical mistake.

5. JoeNation
    Cheerful

nuns.jpg

CoinOKC likes this.
  6. c jay
    Brooding

c jay Well-Known Member

How many ex-Catholics does it take to log on to a religious forum? So far I'm counting 3 out of the 4 to 5 who regularly log on. Yours truly included. Must be something in the holy water. In the spirit of good humor and equal time, can we have a left wing Jesus who through an accounting miracle collects a small amount of revenue and passes out enough to run the economy.

7. JoeNation
    Cheerful

If there is a Left-wing Jesus, I'm against him too or at least against those who profess to speak in his name. As long as people want to worship cloistered in their own little covens, I couldn't care less what they believe Right or Left. The fact that we even have Right or Left religious belief systems says that organized religions have way too much involvement in politics in a secular country. I heard a guy give an interview to Thom Hartmann the other day making the point the the Constitution makes this a "Christian" country. He actually believes this crap. There are people that believe we should have a national religion and they are serious, scary and serious.