Newsom Gets Recalled Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Politics' started by yakpoo, Sep 13, 2021.

1. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I don't entirely disagree. But, it is not a Principle under the Constitution until it is a law duly voted on and passed by Congress and signed by POTUS.

Government and citizens all abide by the same laws, regardless of political power.

Policy is not born of principles.

Principle is a rule that has to be followed, while policy is a guideline which can be adopted.

Which would you choose to be obligatory?

The Bill of Rights were the result of principles espoused and sought by our Founding Fathers, and enshrined in the Constitution.

2. charley

Read Roosevelt.

3. charley

4. yakpoo
    Amused

yakpoo Well-Known Member

I have no doubt it's considered "settled law" by some...but that doesn't make it right.

5. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

You're free to argue if it's right it not, yet it's still constitutional

6. yakpoo
    Amused

yakpoo Well-Known Member

Only by interpretation....interpretations can change. Everything is "settled law" until it isn't. Even Amendments can be repealed.

7. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

8. charley

Little Joe,
    Have you summoned your Reddit Army, yet?

9. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

I was going to say, at this point you'd need either a radical supreme court willing to overturn settled law or a constitutional amendment ratified.

10. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I been in a Beatles listening mod today and have stayed away from the overtly negative drone of news..... Any early results coming in on this thing?

yakpoo likes this.
  11. charley

Not necessarily. A person might want to interpret the decisions of SCOTUS (and I am wondering if you mean in the political sense of conservative vs. liberal) as radical. That does not mean the decision is.

Did you listen to the Justice Breyer NPR interview this past week? I would think you would modify the word "radical", if you had.
    It was quite refreshing.

yakpoo likes this.
  12. yakpoo
    Amused

yakpoo Well-Known Member

...or an Article 5 Convention of the States. ;)

13. yakpoo
    Amused

yakpoo Well-Known Member

PlutoTV (free streaming service) has CBSN Los Angeles which has regular updates. I haven't seen any exit polling, yet. 8 Million ballots were mailed early so exit polling probably doesn't mean much.

California mailed out 22 million mail-in ballots. Not that it's any of my business, but I would be interested to know how California insures the integrity of mail-in ballots.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  14. yakpoo
    Amused

yakpoo Well-Known Member

15. charley

.....or a new ruling by SCOTUS. This would be the most likely tool in the arsenal that would be used,, and is designed to prevent radical decisions that may occur, from remaining settled law.

yakpoo likes this.
  16. yakpoo
    Amused

yakpoo Well-Known Member

It's interesting to note that both Adams and Jefferson argued against a Bill of Rights. Their reasoning was that these rights are already enshrined in the Constitution and, by enumerating some rights could be limiting for others. People and the States reserve ALL RIGHTS not explicitly delegated to the Federal government.

Roosevelt's "economic bill of rights" (which he calls the "2nd Bill of Rights") has no connection to the Constitution at all. It's simply a list of aspirational planks in the Democrat Party platform. If you believe that what he says is a Constitutional function of government, you should vote for Democrats. ;)

17. charley

There is a high percentage of probability that the Latino vote could decide the issue. The problem is, whether a significant percentage of the Latino community do vote.

As to the ballots mailing early, a person listed as a California Resident could be mailed a ballot, even though no longer a Resident. Hugh Hewitt received a ballot, and is no longer a resident. Who knows. I don't particularly care, because it means very little in the next regular election, in my opinion.

The State has the highest percentage of poverty. This is in large part due to the cost of housing and access by the homeless community to social services.

18. yakpoo
    Amused

yakpoo Well-Known Member

It's not like there's a bunch of homeless people looking for a place to camp. Liberal policies enable this mess.

19. charley

You are interpreting the present actions of a Party as applying to all the previous actions of a Party, to reach a condemnatory conclusion of history concerning the Party.

I enjoy a discussion of the history of the Federal Republic as much as anybody. I do not participate in the discussion from a Party platform, especially when it is historical fact that every political Party changes the platform as frequently as every election.

The Jefferson and Adams discussion and position was based on the original entire "wish list" that was proposed at the time. Eventually all participants agreed to the modified Bill of Rights.

FTR, I do not vote based on a political party platform, and never have. I am capable of thinking for myself, and not being labeled via affiliation.

20. charley

I don't really care what policy enables what result. I care that the problem exists and needs to be fixed by the People, or we suffer the consequences.