Yoho resigns from board of Christian organization following confrontation with Ocasio-Cortez

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FryDaddyJr, Jul 25, 2020.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Active Member

Yoho resigns from board of Christian organization following confrontation with Ocasio-Cortez
    Discussion in 'Chatter' started by FryDaddyJr, A moment ago.

1. Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.) resigned from the board of directors of the Christian organization Bread for the World amid blowback after he accosted Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) this week at the Capitol and called her “disgusting” and a “fucking bitch.”

The bipartisan organization, which targets hunger and poverty around the world, said in a Saturday statement that it sought Yoho’s resignation, calling his actions “not reflective of the ethical standards expected of members of our Board of Directors.”

“Bread for the World met with Rep. Yoho on Friday and he has resigned from the board of Bread. During that conversation, we reaffirmed our joint commitment to expanding opportunity for men, women, and children around the world and thanked Rep. Yoho for his commitment to foreign aid effectiveness and transparency,” the organization said.

“Despite these areas of agreement, Bread sought his resignation as an action that reaffirms our commitment to coming alongside women and people of color, nationally and globally, as they continue to lead us to a more racially inclusive and equitable world,” the statement continued.

In a heated Monday exchange, Yoho approached Ocasio-Cortez on the steps of the east side of the Capitol. Yoho told Ocasio-Cortez that she was “disgusting” for suggesting that poverty and unemployment could be driving a spike in crime in New York City.

Ocasio-Cortez told the GOP lawmaker that he was being “rude” before the lawmakers parted ways. Yoho said “f--king bitch” as he descended the steps.

The organization said in a Thursday statement that it was “deeply concerned” about Yoho’s comments “and what we and others perceive to be his non-apology.”

Yoho apologized Wednesday for the “abrupt manner” in which he confronted Ocasio-Cortez. He denied directing the profanity at his the Democratic lawmaker.

“Having been married for 45 years with two daughters, I'm very cognizant of my language," Yoho said on the House floor. "The offensive name-calling words attributed to me by the press were never spoken to my colleagues, and if they were construed that way, I apologize for the misunderstanding.”

He added that “I cannot apologize for my passion or for loving my God, my family and my country.”

Ocasio-Cortez later refused to accept Yoho’s apology, tweeting that “Republican responds to calling a colleague “disgusting” & a “f—ing b*tch” w/ “I cannot apologize for my passion” and blaming others.”

“I will not teach my nieces and young people watching that this an apology, and what they should learn to accept,” she continued.

The freshman lawmaker from New York also reiterated similar comments on the House floor Thursday, denouncing Yoho's statement from the same place the day before. She also accused Yoho of perpetuating a "culture" of sexism on Capitol Hill.

"This issue is not about one incident. It is cultural," she said. "It is a culture of ... impunity, of accepting of violence and violent language against women, and an entire structure of power that supports that."

2. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

God suggested that Yoho resign. He was making God look bad.

3. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

You guys demean your own selves when you cast aspersions upon Christians as though they are supposed to embody perfection. We fully acknowledge that we are flawed and imperfect.... And besides.... She is a bitch.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  4. JoeNation
    Angelic

And so are we.... Besides, you are happy to cast aspersion on a woman of color.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  5. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

I think we (I at least) applaud the Christians kicking this guy out. They're doing their best to be better by getting rid of Ted Yoho.

Mopar Dude and JoeNation like this.
  6. Mopar Dude

REALLY?? A woman of color?? Eat those words!! Have you ever listened to this woman talk down her nose to those that don’t hold to her immature view of the world? She is the epitome of her royal highness in her mind...... And I shouldn’t even acknowledge the “woman of color” comment. That’s pretty far below the belt, Joe. I don’t even need to defend that.

7. JoeNation
    Angelic

You called her a Bitch. The same comment Yoho made except he said fucking birch. If both of you aren't displaying an immature view of women, what are you doing? I think I know how you would feel if someone called your wife or daughter a bitch. Why is OK to call Ocasio-Cortez a bitch? Because you and she have different political views? You seem personally offended by her. You think that she believes that she is better than you. At least that is what your criticisms of her suggest. You said she talks down her nose. You called her royal highness. These are obviously criticisms that reflect that you believe that she holds a place above you.

Women, especially democratic women are lightening rods for Right-wing vitriol because they dare to speak out of turn. In other words, they should know their places. They should stay down. You can't can't possibly have respect for the women in your life or expect others to respect them if you yourself treat women with such disrespect. You can't have it both ways. You can disagree with specific policies but calling her a bitch is simply attacking her as a woman. Ask your wife if she feels it is OK for you to refer to other woman as bitches. I think I already know her answer.

8. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Active Member

you're setting yourself up for disappointment

[​IMG]

9. Mopar Dude

You know what Joe..... I was actually trying to be light hearted. It was a joke. I apologize for offending your sensitive self. I have never remotely placed myself above a woman. Ever. I am man enough to acknowledge that Trump speaks down to others. Are you not man enough to acknowledge that AOC does the very same? Does she get a pass for being a woman? Does that make it OK, Joe??? Jesus....

10. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Active Member

11. JoeNation
    Angelic

12. JoeNation
    Angelic

I'm not the one you need to apologize to. I believe that was the point Ocasio-Cortez made on the floor of the House. A lot of the shaming of women is done in a "light-hearted" manner. I do not see Ocasio-Cortez speaking down to anyone and I would be the first to point it out if I did. You just feel lie she is speaking down to you because of the place you hold yourself. It really isn't about her, it is about you.

13. Mopar Dude

It was simply a play on the message of the thread. A poorly worded attempt at humor that I wish I had never done. Yes, I do believe that her vision of herself will result in her constituents neighborhoods becoming as desolate as those in Detroit. And I also believe that is of no concern to her as long as her self important agenda is met. And personally, I loathe self-importance regardless of the gender.

14. JoeNation
    Angelic

I know that you are a good person with different views than I have. That is to be expected. I may have misunderstood your humor and was too serious in my response. In my defense, I am usually the one that is on the humor side of that dynamic. So sorry if I was too harsh.

I know that Ocasio-Cortez is a favorite whipping boy of the Right because she is a woman of color. The Fox crowd loves to hate women of color. They dare to demand equal treatment. Ocasio-Cortez is probably one of the more educated people, male or female, to enter the house. Sure there are doctors, lawyers, and other educated people but Ocasio-Cortez didn't come from privilege. She worked her way up and has an intellectual gift. She clearly gets under the skin of the GOP. That is another gift of hers.

I know that you like anecdotes so let me tell you about a conversation I had this week with my favorite sister, and I have 5 sisters. She brought up Rep. Ilhan Omar because she lives in her district. She told me that Omar had married her brother so that he could enter the U.S. I told that was a made-up story and that she shouldn't believe stuff that isn't true. I posted a link to snopes for her to see the truth.

It has occurred to me that she is slipping into the same nonsense her husband and sons and her grand sons believe. They are all huge Trump fans, life-long racists, uneducated, and basically hicks. That is pretty normal in the rural areas of Minnesota. These people are as dumb as they come. It bothered me to see my sister buying into what her racist husband has been saying for years. I like them both, we just don't talk about politics. I guess when you also started saying things about another woman of color, I just reacted because I was primed already. Maybe not an excuse but a train of thought anyway. Sorry, it wasn't about you.

Mopar Dude likes this.