What the rest of the world must think of us

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeNation, Jun 28, 2020.

1. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

With the European Union working on banning US citizens to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and the US leading the world in cases and deaths, we have become the country to feel sorry for. Although, you have to wonder why anyone would take pity on this country given that we elected a completely unfit human train wreck that has completely botch the pandemic response, continues to spread false and dangerous messages about the health crisis, holds large rallies in spite of the ongoing spread of the virus, and to top it all off, blames other countries for our problems dealing with the crisis.

I just can't imagine people in other countries saying anything other than, "They brought it on themselves". And I can't disagree except to say that not all of us brought this on ourselves, it was a few bad apples.

2. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I swear Joe sometimes you remind me of these parents at these little league games that scream and swear at their kids when they strike out or miss a fly ball. Never is an encouraging word uttered from their lips...... Like it or not, this man is our president for another six months. And this is a pretty important six months that lay ahead. I pray that maybe.... Just maybe somehow all the factions of this nation can lay their petty differences aside so we can defeat a virus and bring some level headed reason to the issues that are ripping us to shreds. This may be our nation, but that is only temporary. We are here but a moment. We have got to effect some repair on this mess for the youngsters that come behind us. And seriously man.... Constantly bashing the man has absolutely zero constructive effect on the critical condition that we find ourselves in.

3. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

I think the goal is that hopefully it opens people's eyes enough to not give him a second term. Not to mention there's some merit to calling Trump out to hold him accountable for his actions.

4. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

The only other two choices I have are, 1) Pay absolutely no attention to Trump for any reason for example the way the entire GOP top to bottom behaves, or 2) Cheer him on as if he isn't actually failing at every single responsibility the presidency entails, basically, his supporters approach.

If you can find anything constructive in either of those two approaches, you're a better man than I. Closing our eyes to this level of chaos and incompetence doesn't sound like something either side of the aisle should ever be doing. That is a recipe for complete ruin. If you haven't stuck your nose up in the air recently to get a sense of how things are going in the country these days, you might want to grab yourself a quick assessment of what we think of ourselves, what the world thinks of us, and what our enemies must be thinking of us right now. The threat of a fatal distemper should be enough to keep you awake at night.

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body; it calls attention to the development of an unhealthy state of things. If it is heeded in time, danger may be averted; if it is suppressed, a fatal distemper may develop."
    [​IMG]
    [New Statesman interview, 7 January 1939]”
    ― Winston Churchill

Mopar Dude likes this.