What about Lawyers?

Discussion in 'Chatter' started by CoinBlazer, Nov 12, 2019.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer de omnibus dubitandum

I know this may not be the most constructive place to find info but what can you folks tall me about being a lawyer and or getting a law degree?

2. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Active Member

I'll say this as a businessman. Lawyers tie my hands up with compliance issues so much that I generally regard them as a nuisance. However when I need one, by golly they are invaluable.... I couldn't speak for criminal type lawyers. I never had the need and don't intend on ever putting myself in a place where I may need one.... However a good business lawyer is worth his weight in gold.... When I need him.

3. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Active Member

It really depends on what you enjoy. Between undergraduate and graduate school, I had nine credits of business law. I enjoyed all three courses and aced them all, but law school was just not in my future.

Law is a highly competitive field, and there are some parts of it, like personnel injury, which make me want to puke. There are many honorable specialties, however. Since are still in high school, there is lots of time to decide.

4. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

As I've said in the past, I have a lot of lawyers in the family. I can break them down into two camps. Those that wanted to be lawyers to make a lot of money that those that wanted to be lawyers because they wanted to help people that can't afford good legal counsel.

Let me give you an example of the former. My wife's brother is a partner in a big law firm and deals mostly with corporations suing corporations. He makes a lot of money as you'd suspect but is miserable in just about every aspect of his life. His wife is also a lawyer. They both wanted the money and have never expressed any desire to help people on a professional level or a personal level. They are pretty self-absorbed people.

On the latter, my wife's secretary is married to a lawyer that does mostly divorces, DUI's, minor offenses, and genuinely helps people that need the advice of a lawyer. He isn't wealthy but he and his family are happy, wonderful people.

Now these are only two examples of course but I think it goes without saying that you should approach any eventual career not strictly for the money you hope to be paid but it should be something you have a passion for. If it also happens to pay well, GREAT! But follow your passion first. Money will not make your profession any less odious if you hate what you are doing.

GOOD LUCK.

A good read is Bryan Stevenson's book Just Mercy.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  5. CoinBlazer

I'm in the consideration of being a lawyer more as a theoretical. I enjoy rule of law and the ideas of justice and morality. I enjoy research and analysis that can lead to to such conclusions about justice and morality

6. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN New Member

Michael, from what I have seen in your postings, I think you could be anything that you put your mind to. Work hard at it and keep your priorities in line, and the world is your oyster.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  7. CoinBlazer

No that I care by any means but how do you know my name? Just curious

8. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN New Member

I sent you a coin not too long ago!

Mopar Dude likes this.
  9. CoinBlazer

Oh yeah the 1830 Half!