Trump is IMPEACHED!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeNation, Dec 18, 2019.

1. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

The first 1st term president to ever be impeached. The Republicans never disputed one witness, never spoke to the character of Donald Trump, never once defended any of his behaviors, attacked the process relentlessly, accused Democrats of playing politics, and voted against impeachment in lock-step. This truly is the Trump Republican Party. So what happens to the party when Trump is no longer in office? Who will the GOP find that has as much contempt for the rule of law, who will they find that uses the Constitution as toilet paper, who will they find that openly admits that they intend to seek foreign intervention in our election process? Because that is what the base of the Trump Republican Party will demand going forwards.

2. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer de omnibus dubitandum

• Republicans never disputed one witness- Every witness who was on the stand, Republicans consistently reminded us that these people have ZERO first-hand knowledge, only opinions and feelings. Sounds like disputing to me
    • never once defended any of his behaviors- saying that Trump did nothing wrong sounds like defending someones behavior
    • voted against impeachment in lock-step.- Good

3. CoinBlazer

Anyway, I have not yet decided my stance on this now that the Impeachment is official. Accept the results and move on...or continue to contest the legitimacy of the impeachment. I'm very well known in my school as the political expert for my age, I know I will have people asking my opinion tomorrow in school.

4. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Active Member

Wallow in your fascist manure. Today is your last day of enjoyment for a long time. After Trump has been vindicated, your heroes will enjoy a year of indictments for the crooked stuff they have done for the last three and a half years.

5. CoinBlazer

That almost sounds poetic...

6. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

Hey piggy breath, I am totally done with being anything close to civil with you. You HATE this country and you HATE everything about its history and values. You have made that clear in your previous posts. You are HATER. That is all you life is about.

7. CoinBlazer

Hey man, I'm sorry you feel that way about Joe but ruthless insulting is of no help to the situation.

8. JoeNation
    Angelic

• The second whistle blower from the State Department did in fact have first-hand knowledge of the call AND corroborated everything the other witnesses said. So the old zero first-hand knowledge claim is bogus. Secondly, if all these people with second-hand knowledge are wrong, release the tape of the phone call to congress and prove them wrong. That would be easy. Let the people that had direct knowledge of the call testify. That would clear up any inconsistencies.
    • No congressman, during the debate that took many, many hours prior to the impeachment vote, defended Trump. They simply attacked the process and the Democrats over and over. You'd think that they would have brought up his impeccable character and his long history of honesty or his moral leanings but at least one Republican compared him to Jesus and I thought that was fair. They did both hang around with hookers.
    • I also think it is good that Republicans are willing to go down with the Trump ship in lock-step.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  9. JoeNation
    Angelic

10. CoinBlazer

11. JoeNation
    Angelic

This is fascinating....

12. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Active Member

I am not a constitutional scholar so this may be a less than astute question.... But here goes.

The president is impeached based upon on a fully partisan vote with the House being dominated by the Democratic party.

Next step is a trial in the Senate. I expect no difference and it too will follow purely partisan lines and the Senate is dominated by the Republican party.

So then my question is this. What are the ramifications of an impeached President that was not convicted by trial in the Senate?

13. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN New Member

Following the news today, who knows if it ever makes it to the Senate. What a farce.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  14. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN New Member

He'll have an asterisk next to his name in the history books pointing down to the footnotes about impeachment, nothing else.

Mopar Dude and CoinBlazer like this.
  15. JoeNation
    Angelic

If he were in his second term, my guess would be that he would have the honor of being impeached throughout history. As a first term president, he gets to run for re-election as a impeached incumbent candidate. The country will get to decide if it matters or not.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  16. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

To answer @Mopar Dude's question, the fact that a president was impeached but not convicted only be noted in the history books. His job performance rating will be based on many other factors.

Andrew Johnson is rated a below average president today because he had short fuse on his temper and could not work with the Radical Republicans. Years ago, he was rated more highly, but his decision to “let the South up easy” as Lincoln had advocated now angers those who partially blame him for the start of unfair race based laws in the South. The fact that he was impeached, for what could be called bogus reasons, doesn’t really affect his place in history. It is interesting to note that a Kansas senator, Edmund Ross, who cast that vote that kept Johnson in office, rated a chapter in John F. Kennedy’s book, “Profiles in Courage.”

Johnson was impeached mainly for dismissing secretary of war, Edmund Stanton, after Congress passed a law that forbid him to dismiss a cabinet member without their approval. That law would probably not pass constitutional muster. While Congress has the right to approve of those who serve in a president’s cabinet, they serve at the president’s pleasure once they are in office.

Bill Clinton was guilty of lying to a federal grand jury. He was disbarred as an attorney because of it, but most people would not say that that crime rose to the impeachment level. I think that he was a better than average president despite that so the impeachment really doesn’t matter in his overall rating.

I think that the current impeachment is bogus. Therefore you can see how I think it will be counted in evaluating Trump’s record.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Mopar Dude likes this.
  17. JoeNation
    Angelic

Let's be clear here, Bill Clinton was guilty of lying to congress about a consensual extramarital affair. The Constitution would have remained in tact regardless of whether the affair happened or not. Trump on the other hand was trying to fix an election using a foreign government as a tool of influence. The Constitution is pretty clear on that issue.

Let's weigh the two. Consensual affair vs. fixing an election?

18. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Active Member

In an effort to catch up on news after work, I find it odd that the House is not sending the articles of impeachment to the Senate. Is there a sound reason for this other than political grandstanding?

19. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

It’s grandstanding. Pelosi is a smart politician, and knows she has a stink bomb on her hands, but AOC and the other extremists forced this on her. It’s what happens when you allow an ignorant bar maid to devise your political strategy.

20. CoinBlazer

Its because Pelosi knows that the Senate trial will not play by Democratic strategy and she fears the outcomes when the ball is not in her court.