Thoughts on Executive Order on Protecting American Monuments

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GeneWright, Jun 27, 2020.

1. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

Executive Order on Protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues and Combating Recent Criminal Violence

This is EASILY one of my favorite executive orders Trump has done. The vast majority is just direction to the justice department to aggressively prosecute people under existing laws, where it gets good is section 2d-e.

"(d) It is the policy of the United States, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to withhold Federal support tied to public spaces from State and local governments that have failed to protect public monuments, memorials, and statues from destruction or vandalism. These jurisdictions’ recent abandonment of their law enforcement responsibilities with respect to public monuments, memorials, and statues casts doubt on their willingness to protect other public spaces and maintain the peace within them. These jurisdictions are not appropriate candidates for limited Federal funds that support public spaces.

(e) It is the policy of the United States, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to withhold Federal support from State and local law enforcement agencies that have failed to protect public monuments, memorials, and statues from destruction or vandalism. Unwillingness to enforce State and local laws in the face of attacks on our history, whether because of sympathy for the extremists behind this violence or some other improper reason, casts doubt on the management of these law enforcement agencies. These law enforcement agencies are not appropriate candidates for limited Federal funds that support State and local police."

Interpretation: "if protestors tear down or vandalize statues, we will defund the police." Hilarious. Thank you, President Trump!

2. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

No more little teddy bear for you. Your new avatar makes you look like just another angry, violent, nasty radical. Good move! You are more honest with your mask off.

Now you can go about the business of tearing down the Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson monuments. When you are done with them, you can go after FDR. He unlawfully imprisoned Japanese citizens during World War II and did nothing to desegregate the military. After that you can put out the eternal flame over Kennedy’s grave and perhaps rip out the ground stone over it.

3. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

The new avatar is from a hilarious TV show called Venture Bros. It's a parody of the Batman Villain Two-Face. The name of the character is "Radical Left" Which I thought would be pretty funny given how I'm often viewed here.

I don't personally care about keeping up any statues. I just thought it was funny that the executive order penalizes statue vandalism by defunding the police of the communities it happens in.

4. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

5. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

Here’s the reality. The tearing down of statues began under the auspices of eliminating confederate monuments. Because they were confederate monuments, it was deemed OK in the eyes of the meme media. However, it didn’t stop there as anyone with any common sense knew. Once you give children the license to destroy property, they will continue to destroy. It’s simple human nature. It will continue until the children suffer some sort of consequence. Allow it to continue and your red, white or blue car will be in their bullseye. Or perhaps you will find your front porch on fire because you dared to fly an American flag. There is absolutely nothing hilarious about lawlessness. Nothing at all. It’s easy to cheer them on while watching your TV. Mark my words. It won’t end there unless they are made to stop.

6. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

The hilarious part is that Trump thought it best to actually incentivize destroying them by using cutting federal funding to police as a consequence of statues getting destroyed. Isn't that a win-win for a lot of protestors?

7. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

If you are concerned about your personal safety, and that of you family, you should care. When they were tearing Confederate statues, that was one thing. Now they going after Washington, Lincoln, U.S. Grant, Teddy Roosevelt and some 19th century abolitionists. They probably are too poorly informed to know about the latter, but the first four have been viewed as "good people" in American history.

These people are anarchists and revolutionaries. You need use that big brain of yours and study what life was like during the English, French and Russian Revolutions. It was not pretty and don’t think that you are safe because you are a left-winger.

Anarchists and revolutionaries don’t have much use for humanity. Their goal is to destroy with the idea that something better will develop. What has often developed was a radical, authoritarian government. That ended the chaos.

I am very concerned about the morale of the police and our public safety. The violent criminals don’t give a damn about politics, except when it provides them opportunities to break the law. Government owns protection to decent, law-abiding people, and that basic human right is in jeopardy because of loud minority that does not understand what is at stake.

8. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

Protestors: Defund the police and tear down racist statues!

Trump: Don't you dare touch the statues! If you do, I will cut off funding to your police!

~~Art of the deal~~

9. Mopar Dude

I am not making any excuses for the man. I supported him, but am not overly impressed with his comments and actions of late, so I won’t go there. Presidents come and they go. They are but a moment in time. On the other hand, the legacy this destruction is leaving impressed on our young people’s minds we will be dealing with for decades. That deeply troubles me.

10. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

I know now that you hate our country. Therefore your posts are of little value because you have no interest in compromise or meaningful dialog. This has what your “liberal education” done for you.

To answer your comment, the Federal Government can take the states and cities to court, which can take a long time, or it can withhold funding.

Like the other members of your movement, you don’t care about anyone else’s opinions or values. Everything orbits around you. You are a spoiled brat. If you want all the monuments to be torn down everybody else has to agree with it. If they don’t, you think that you are within your right to shout them down.

The monuments are not hurting you or anyone else. Removing them does not feed anyone or give them a better place to live. Removing them does nothing but feed you narrow-minded, intolerant philosophy.

11. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

So you support the executive order to defund police departments where statues are removed?

Also, it doesn't hurt me if they stay up or down. I just don't have any attachments to them. And frankly, I'm having a tough time understanding why the right is attached to them. It'd be best if they could be taken down by petition or other channels, and that has worked in some places, but not always. It's important with the Confederate statues because many were erected in the Jim Crow era as a reminder and threat to African Americans. So yes, they are hurtful to plenty of people, you simply have to listen to them.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  12. toughcoins

toughcoins Well-Known Member

These destructive elements are acting out of frustration that society at large doesn't embrace their ideals and / or sense of urgency. They feel that if they band together with enough others, who despite not sharing their specifiic goals but are similarly frustrated, they will together sway public opinion.

This is not unlike the screaming child at the candy counter who, having exhausted all direct attempts to get Mom or Dad to buy the candy bar, leverages the presence of others to extort the parent into submission. It is demonstrative either of the inability to communicate convincingly, or of the unworthiness of the supported cause, or both.

When such acts are resorted to, the last thing the public should do is give these unruly mobs what they want, or they reward that bad behavior, and ensure its continued use. Just like in the checkout line, where the cashier wisely chooses to ignore the poor parent's wailing child.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Mopar Dude likes this.
  13. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

So Trump has decided to be the Police-Defunder-in-Chief. Okay, I have to ask two things:

1. Is Trump signing this fiat so that all of those countless protesters will suddenly realize that Trump is on their side and vote for him or,
    2. is Trump attempting to prevent the statues from being torn down by defunding the only people in each city that could actually prevent the statues from being torn down?

It seems like lose if do, lose if you don't and could only have come from the mind of Donald J. Trump and Company.

I smell Jared all over this Executive Order. Don't ask me why. Maybe because his dad was thrown in prison and convicted of illegal campaign contributions, tax evasion, and witness tampering. He served 14 months in federal prison and an additional ten months in a halfway house. Maybe Jared just doesn't like the police?

This family is so tied into criminality that it is hard to spit right, left, forwards, or backwards without getting a criminal wet when you're in the Trump Sphere.

14. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Active Member

Derp

[​IMG]

15. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

What else would you expect by an insulting, stupid cartoon from the village bigot, @FryDaddyJr?

Are you ready to lose your house and everything else to the mob in the upcoming revolution? That’s where these people want to go. The Democrats think they can control them after they gain power, but, without force, they will be sadly mistaken. The mob is well to the left of the establishment Democrat Party. As Hawk Newsome, chairmen of Black Lives Matter of Greater New York, said. “If we don’t get what we want, we will burn the system down, figuratively or literally.”

Mopar Dude likes this.
  16. JoeNation
    Angelic

I love the tried and true scare tactics this fool loves to spew as if he actually had a clue. Never sees the police as the problem even though they are killing people in the streets with utter impunity. They protect him is his lily white world so nothing else matters. "...these people" he can't even identify are going to come for you.

17. Mopar Dude

I call complete BS on this, Joe. This is a dangerous statement. This entire problem stems from a complete lack of respect for authority. This ain't the wild west. And you can bet when your back door is jimmied open, those same law officers you profess to loathe will be your best ally.

18. JoeNation
    Angelic

I don't respect the authority to kill people for no reason and I'm sure that I never will. I challenge "authority" to do their damn jobs within the context of the laws and when they feel that they are above those laws, then their "authority" means nothing. They have simply become the problem right along with the criminals. Respect is saved for those that deserve it. If you cover up for your brothers, you are just as damn guilty as they are. Saying that they deserve respect is dangerous and will lead to more killings.

19. Mopar Dude

That is akin to saying that all high school kids should challenge all of their their teachers authority because there was one bad teacher in the school district....... I mean seriously, can you not see how this is going? You people are going to put such a stigma on law officers that ultimately young and bright people will shun the law profession. And you think there is a problem now???

20. JoeNation
    Angelic

Not even close. From the police union to the blue wall of silence, the "good ones" do not turn on the bad ones. That makes them all guilty of participating in the system of lawlessness and abuse of the authority they have been entrusted with. In other words, they look out for themselves, they investigate themselves, and they are accountable to only themselves. That is a recipe for corruption if I ever heard one.