The Economic Impact of the Trump Years

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeNation, Jan 26, 2021.

1. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

I heard someone quote the figure that about 25% of the country is doing about the same or better economically than they were 4 years ago. That obviously leaves broad swaths of the country that are suffering after 4 years of Trump economics. "Buy American" and "America First" and all the other Trumpian pronouncements didn't increase manufacturing, reduce the trade deficit, or bring back coal, or help farmers.

Given the reality of the Trump presidency now that it is in the rearview mirror, do you find yourself in the 25% or the 75% of Americans right now? If you are in the 25%, why do you think that is?

2. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

Due to covid the whole business outlook and supply chain is damaged. Yes I blame Trump.

3. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I am in the 25% and I choose to remain in the 25% because I rely upon myself rather than anyone else to prop me up.

4. FryDaddyJr

Ol' Pops McBootstraps wanders in...

5. Mopar Dude

Say what you will. When you rely on others, you will forever be disappointed. If construction were to dry up tomorrow, I would go to disinfecting Covid offices, or peddling batteries..... Anything that I can do because I still have two good hands and some wit about myself. I refuse to fail and I owe that to the people that rely on me to keep them fed.

6. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

I feel that I am in the 25% also. Many, many hardworking people, through no fault of their own, are in the 75%. Whether they owned their own business or worked for someone else, many people are suffering right now.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  7. Mopar Dude

I will not disagree with that at all.

8. FryDaddyJr

How quaint. I haven't suffered either but that doesn't mean I wasn't lucky. get over yourself

9. Mopar Dude

Really??? Read your response one more time.... Then make that last statement. I bet you were beat up a lot in school and so now you feel buff being an internet bully. You will have to do a whole lot better than that..... Get over yourself. From the guy that tells the rest of us how we should live..... LOL!!!

10. Recusant
    Spaced

Recusant Member

Before the pandemic, Trump 's policies did some economic harm, but the trajectory of the economy didn't suffer much from that. It continued more or less on the course it had been on before he was elected.

A few particular policies of the administration turned out to be harmful to the economy, but they didn't know it at the time. The dismantling of teams tasked with preparing for emergent diseases, neglect of preparedness measures, and throwing out a playbook that had been put together by epidemiologists, these were all done before or just as the novel coronavirus emerged.

Then the insistent denial and magical thinking coming from the president further crippled the country's response. You can bamboozle people into buying snake oil but viruses aren't listening.

The spread of the virus was no doubt enhanced by his encouragement of the moronic anti-mask "freedom" stooges, as well as discouragement of any sort of lockdown. I think the Trump administration's leadership of the country's response to the pandemic was poor to actively detrimental. That definitely had a negative effect on the economy, exacerbating what was already going to be a serious economic blow.

JoeNation and FryDaddyJr like this.