The Black Lives Matter Protests Are Working. Here’s Proof.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FryDaddyJr, Jun 12, 2020.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Active Member

From cities defunding police departments to monuments to racists coming down, significant changes have already emerged from the nationwide anti-racism protests.

In the weeks since police killed George Floyd in Minneapolis, nonstop protests across the U.S. have called out systemic racism and police brutality — and have already given rise to significant reckonings and policy changes in cities and companies nationwide.

Floyd, who was Black, was killed on May 25 when a white police officer, Derek Chauvin, knelt on his neck for nearly 9 minutes as Floyd pleaded, “I can’t breathe.” The demonstrations the following night in Minneapolis soon spread across the country and the world, as people took to the streets to demand justice for Black victims of police violence and an end to the status quo of racism and white supremacy.

Last week, former President Barack Obama compared the recent protests to those in the late 1960s civil rights era, calling this moment a “sea change,” adding that there’d been “as much honest conversation in this country on the topic of race in the past week as has taken place in my living memory.” Civil rights legend Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) echoed the sentiment, praising the racial diversity of today’s protests, which have been largely led by young Black people, saying these would “help redeem the soul of America.”

And so far, the Black Lives Matter protests — which built off years of work by BLM activists since 2013, in the streets, in halls of government and educating the public — have spurred some significant changes.

From cities redirecting funding from police departments, to Confederate monuments coming down in droves, here are some of the steps toward racial justice and ending police brutality that we’ve seen in just 16 days since protests began:

[​IMG]
    OLIVIER DOULIERY VIA GETTY IMAGES
    A protester faces military police near the White House to protest the death of George Floyd, on June 3 in Washington, D.C.
    Police are being held accountable.

• After four days of protest, officer Chauvin, who knelt on Floyd’s neck as he died, was charged with third-degree murder. Following further protests and calls for more severe charges, Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison later elevated the charge to second-degree murder and charged the three other officers involved with aiding and abetting.

• Last week, six police officers in Atlanta were charged, and two of them fired, after a video went viral showing cops using a stun gun and dragging two young Black students, Messiah Young and Taniyah Pilgrim, from a car during protests.

• An officer in Brooklyn, New York, was charged for shoving a protester, who was hospitalized with a concussion. Two officers in Buffalo were charged for shoving a 75-year-old protester whose head hit the ground and began bleeding and was later in serious condition at the hospital. And New York state lawmakers repealed a law that shielded police’s disciplinary records from the public.

• Louisville’s police chief was fired and two officers were placed on administrative leave after David McAtee, a Black man, was shot and killed when officers responded to a large gathering that was in violation of the city’s curfew, which was set up in response to the anti-racism protests. Gov. Andy Beshear said officers “returned fire” after being shot at. An investigation is underway.

• The Miami police department banned officers from using a “carotid restraint,” or chokehold.

• San Francisco city supervisors introduced a resolution to prevent the police department from hiring officers with records of serious misconduct. District Attorney Chesa Boudin also opened a criminal investigation to identify a police officer who shoved a Black Lives Matter protester.
    [​IMG]
    BOSTON GLOBE VIA GETTY IMAGES
    Hundreds march with the Coalition of Black Youth in Boston on June 10. The protestors marched from Nubian Square to City Hall to urge Boston City Council to reallocate Boston police funding to youth jobs programs like SuccessLink, violence prevention, and to hire additional mental health counselors in Boston Public Schools.
    Cities are defunding police.
    • In Minneapolis, a veto-proof majority of city council members pledged earlier this week to “begin the process of ending” the city’s police department, seeking to instead invest in a “new transformative model for cultivating safety.” What such a model will look like in the city remains to be determined.

• In New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a proposal to cut the police department’s budget and shift the money to programs to help “communities of color.” The mayor said the exact amount will be determined with the city council as part of the budget process.

• In Los Angeles, the city council introduced a proposal to redirect at least $100 million to $150 million from the LAPD budget to disadvantaged communities and communities of color. The mayor expressed support and pledged additional funds to support the Black community.

• In San Francisco, city supervisors and the mayor together said they were committing to redirect part of the police department’s budget to serve the Black community. The amount has not yet been determined.
    Schools are cutting ties with police.
    [​IMG]
    PARKER MICHELS-BOYCE VIA GETTY IMAGES
    A statue of Confederacy President Jefferson Davis lies on the street after protesters pulled it down in Richmond, Virginia, on June 10.
    • \
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-lives-matter-protests-change_n_5ee28ed5c5b64c615ed303d1

2. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

Protesting works. Bottom line. Make 'em big enough. Make 'em loud enough and things change.

3. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

The defaced American flags and destroyed public property certainly help too.

Andrew Jackson likes this.
  4. JoeNation
    Angelic

Casualties of change. One is just a symbol the other is just a thing that can be replaced.

5. Mopar Dude

The Germans tried to kill my grandfather and father in law. Perhaps I should go destroy every Mercedes I can find.... Makes just as much sense.

Andrew Jackson and JohnHamilton like this.
  6. JoeNation
    Angelic

I'm not seeing it. I think you are now talking about Civil War Statues?

Mercedes don't honor Nazi soldiers. If they did, I'd be right there next to you destroying them.

With your family's experiences, how would you feel if they erected a statue in your town dedicated to the brave Nazi infantry soldiers that died defending Nazi ideals?

7. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

We will see if they go after the Washington and Jefferson monuments next, as promised. If they do that, they will be shooting their own cause in the foot. Patriotic Americans can only take so much before a radical group marginalizes itself.

8. Mopar Dude

If it were the public's money, I would look the other way. Destroying property that belongs to others is simply barbaric and unacceptable. Now that it has been allowed, nothing is now sacred. If the atheist in my neighborhood doesn't like my church, what is to prevent him from burning it down? The precedent has now been set. Every group with an agenda can now destroy whatever they feel is visually offensive to them. Oh it won't end at the civil war monuments. Mark my words.

9. JoeNation
    Angelic

Your post specifically said, "...destroyed public property"

If someone throws a rock through my window, my homeowners insurance pays for it. It might make me mad but a window is just a thing and can be replaced. As I posted before, the fact that George Floyd was murdered is awful but the looting and arson was intolerable is simply a poor choice of priorities.

I'd say best prevention is just being an atheist. You can't point to one instance of atheists getting together and burning anything down. Atheists in this country are the least violent group in the entire country. Can you name one thing that they have ever done as a group? Yeah, me neither.

This is straight up a logical fallacy. I can't argue a logical fallacy since it is illogical to begin with. Specifically, it is the:

Hasty Generalization
    A hasty generalization is a general statement without sufficient evidence to support it. A hasty generalization is made out of a rush to have a conclusion, leading the arguer to commit some sort of illicit assumption, stereotyping, unwarranted conclusion, overstatement, or exaggeration.

10. Mopar Dude

This was an analogy. It could be the mannequin haters or the red car haters. The group doesn't matter. We have now shown them that destruction of property not belonging to them is now acceptable.

I beg to differ. If you turn your head when your teenager stays out beyond curfew, then the precedent is set and you will not get your teenager in before curfew ever again..... An entire generation has now witnessed public property being destroyed without consequence. You or I either one would severely reprimand our kid for destroying our neighbors property. We now have an entire generation that has seen with their own perception that destruction is acceptable as long as you don't like the property. It is human nature to push boundaries and we have just set limitless boundaries in our apathy.

11. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

Deleted because I misread the quote. I took “atheists” for “arsonists.”

I am in deed sorry.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  12. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

Did you think he said "arsonists?" He said "atheists"

13. JoeNation
    Angelic

Forget it. He's rolling...

14. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

Yep, my mistake. Sorry for that. :oops:

15. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Active Member

at least he owns up to an error. that makes him a thousand times better than trump

16. JoeNation
    Angelic

Lots of errors are made here by pretty much everyone. This one is hilarious. It just is.

You know that you can just delete the post, right?

17. Mopar Dude

Building a future by tearing down the past. Oh yeah.... That works. I am so ashamed of our nations behavior and the apathetic leaders that allow it to go on...... I just sat in a Tavern and drank a beer watching an old friend pick guitar. CNN was on the TV behind him with footage of another black criminal being taken down. Apparently the man said, “I can’t breathe. In the 90 minutes I sat there, CNN played that footage fourteen times.Throwing fuel on the fire. I am sick to death of lawlessness posing as protests while all you sniveling enablers cheer these people on. You should be ashamed...

18. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

This could be totally wrong since I don't watch the news much. But I haven't heard about much looting or rioting in a while. Is it largely over? I think it's mostly just peaceful protestors now.

19. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

They just took down the Caesar Rodney statue in Wilmington, Delaware. The statue had been there for decades and was a symbol for the state. Rodney is the patriot statue that appeared on the Delaware state quarter in 1999. On July 1, 1776 he rode 70 miles in a thunderstorm to cast the deciding vote for the Delaware delegation to vote for independence. At the time he had facial cancer that would ultimately kill him.

His sin? His family had a plantation near Dover, Delaware that was worked by slaves in the 1700s. I will guarantee you that few if any of the protesters know that. A day a so ago, they desecrated the statue of an abolitionist whose company built railroad engines in the 1800s before the Civil War.

If you people keep pressing this re-write of history, you will pay for it at the polls. You can’t take historical figures out of their time and apply your modern standards to them. If you continue, there won’t be a country left, but I guess that’s what you want.

In time Communist China will dominate the world, and we will be like the people of Hong Kong fighting for their human rights. Do you think I’m overstating the case? It’s nearer than you think. But maybe that’s what you “progressives” want ... until you get it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Mopar Dude likes this.
  20. JoeNation
    Angelic

Most of these "monuments' and statues where installed in the 1940's and 50's at the height of the Cold War, McCarthyism, and the peak of the KKK and were erected specifically as a warning to people of color that they had better stay in line because here is a reminder of the what we honor in this country. It's not like these things are from an entirely different Era or anything.

Before you get all up in arms about these celebrations of slavery being pulled down, you should know the history of where they came from, when they were erected, and why they are there in the first place. I bet none of you even know the slightest thing about the origin stories of most of these symbols that have wounded this country's reputation for far too long.

I cheer the progress we are seeing not the method it took to change things. It shouldn't have taken this long or have been met with so much resistance. The resistance to change is as much to blame as any protester out there.