Tax "cuts"?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FryDaddyJr, Aug 9, 2020.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

let me get this straight, the republican's idea is that we will give up a significant portion of our retirement, our medical care when we're seniors with all kinds of pre-existing conditions...our social safety net ...and say fuck it to all the taxes we've been paying all these years for social security, to get an extra 75 bucks a week (on average?) in our paychecks? that is, if you have a job that would deduct for our future?'

Will Trump’s Payroll Tax Cut End Social Security As We Know It? Let’s Hope So.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer...rity-as-we-know-it-lets-hope-so/#4b115a9b48a5

2. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

As much as I don't love to do this... I'll defend Republicans on this one for now.

Neither the Dems or Reps were for a payroll tax cut in their stimulus bill drafts, this was a unilateral move by Trump. Why he wants to do it? He probably doesn't care about the future and thinks $75 a paycheck will be enough to give him a short term popularity boost. There's no other reasonable explanation I can imagine.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  3. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

I still wonder how 50 million unemployed people are going to benefit from a payroll tax cut in the first place? Magic? Voodoo economics?

4. c jay
    Amused

c jay Well-Known Member

This is what Obama did in 2016. It is a deferment. Also, if the Democrats really cared about 50 million unemployed, they would be holding out for Mail in Voting and removing ID verification on ballots. They seem obsessed with stuffing ballots and stealing elections.

JohnHamilton likes this.
  5. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

I disagree with Trump on the “payroll tax holiday,” especially if he wants to make it permanent. I think that every working person should have some skin in the game when comes to carrying to national burden of financing the national government. If people do nothing but collect, but never pay, they come to think of addition programs as someone else’s problem to pay for. If it’s your tax revenue, you take a stronger interest in getting it right and reasonable.

toughcoins and FryDaddyJr like this.