So, Given Everything Happening Today; How Does Your 401K Look?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeNation, May 16, 2020.

1. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

Are you near retirement? Can you afford to "let it ride"?

Not looking for your personal financials or investment strategies, I thought I'd ask a question about what is nearest and dearest to your heart. I've noticed that generally speaking, Red States seem primarily concerned about the financial impact associated with this pandemic while Blues states, generally speaking, seem more focused on the health crisis this pandemic has produced.

Both issues are obviously concerning but I don't think that what we are seeing in this country necessarily reflects what is going on in the rest of the world right now. Most people look at this pandemic first and foremost as a health crisis on a global scale, while a sizable number of people, mostly in this country see this as a financial crisis first and foremost. Interesting division.

It doesn't seem that we know how to work together even in the face of a pandemic in this country. We've lost the ability to put aside our differences because we have been molded into a north and a south, a black and a white, a right and wrong; we only know two sides must be taken on every issue. It is the division that must be maintained.

This crisis is the prefect laboratory to expose our weaknesses as a country and as individuals. The weakness of our institutions, our system of finances, our infrastructure, and our own resolve as a nation. On an individual basis we see how easily our sense of security and comfortable lives can disappear over night. We even expose the folly of our own exceptionalism by abdicating our role as the beacon of hope to those people yearning to have a better life around the world. We have plainly lost our way.

So, given what we're facing together right now, how is your 401K doing?

Mopar Dude likes this.
  2. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

lost all of the last few years gains in my Fidelity (employer with matching) 401k. I haven't heard people crowing about the economy and 401ks for a very long time

3. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

As a retiree, I'm drawing on it. Oddly enough, right now it's higher that it was last year before I took the annual payment. As for my stock and bond portfolio, that's another story.

4. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

mine is pretty balanced and I was thinking about diving in right now while it's low