Post Covid and the Trial Lawyers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mopar Dude, May 21, 2020.

1. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I have my own beef with the trail lawyers of the world. It is absolutely stunning the amount of insurance I have to carry to protect myself and my business from them. I am confident that the trial lawyer crowd has been deep in their study's planning how they will milk this virus once it is in the rearview mirror.

So here I am a small businessman and I feel I am in the trial lawyers bullseye. Can I be sued because I didn't have the front door wiped down each time it was opened? Or an unsuspecting employee comes in and infects others because they didn't display symptoms at the time?

This is the sort of stuff that keeps me awake nights. I had heard some talk a while back that the fed planned to put some sort of protections in place to prevent these type scenarios from happening.... But here we are. The nation is slowly coming back to life and I have heard no more talk about any legislative efforts to protect us from the ambulance chasers. Has anyone else heard anything along these lines?

2. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

There is a personal injury lawyer down here who is fighting any kind of legislation that would limit liabilities connected with this virus. His ads show how many lawyers he’s got in his firm and how many assets they have.

To some people that looks like strength. To me it looks like too much overhead that is going come out of your settlement if you use his firm.

I met a guy who got injured on the job, who used his firm, when I was on jury duty. He told me that he got an $18,000 settlement and that this law firm took $11,000 of it in fees.

I wonder if this guy would have ended up with more money if he had simply settled with a direct offer from the insurance company? The lawyers will tell you that they get bigger settlements, but really matters is how much YOU GET in the end.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  3. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

The trial lawyers try to make you think that the big settlements they get only come from the “dirty rotten big insurance companies” or perhaps the Easter Bunny. The source of that money is mostly those us who have to take insurance. I have not filed an auto insurance claim since I was 19 years old. Fifty years later I have to pay over $2,000 a year in auto insurance.

Mopar Dude likes this.