Mail-in voting

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GeneWright, May 20, 2020.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Well-Known Member

How long have you been beating your wife?

2. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

Oh jeez. Here we go again. Fry daddy has been in the beef broth again. Somebody give him some ham free coffee so he can sober up.

3. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

You've got the attention span of a gnat . . . try staying on subject, will you?

4. FryDaddyJr

say stupid stuff and put words in my mouth and you'll get the same.

5. toughcoins

"As a liberal, you inherently embrace taxes of all kinds. Why should a poll tax be objectionable?"

I didn't put words in your mouth . . . I simply described the nature of your belief system, and accurately, I might add.

And as for how long I've been beating my wife? Just under 27 years . . .

. . . she's never been able to run faster than me.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  6. FryDaddyJr

you don't know anything about my belief system. does your wife have any Zimmer implants from the broken bones?

7. toughcoins

You got that wrong . . . I don't know you, but I know your belief system all to well . . . you wear it on your sleeve, spew it in your posts, and even display it in your avatar.

No, but I bought her a skull-implanted UHF antenna so she can get FOX News when she's away from home.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  8. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

Where did you find yours?

9. toughcoins

It's hers, and she don't share . . . :(

Mopar Dude likes this.
  10. FryDaddyJr

We should also have a voting Holiday or hold it on Saturdays. Use Memorial Day, Labor day or Columbus Day if you wish

GeneWright likes this.
  11. toughcoins

I'm great with that . . . as long as government issued photo IDs are required.

See? . . . I'm not so hard to get along with.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  12. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Someone familiar with florida, @JohnHamilton maybe? How is mail in voting more secure there than anywhere else in theory? If there is some way that had already made it secure, shouldn't we be focused on emulating that practice everywhere?

13. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

I don’t agree with Trump on Florida. Where I live, the system seems to be pretty good. There are controls on the way the ballots are mailed and received. The results are counted and reported in a timely matter. I would say that the system is fair and honest here.

The southeast coast in the Palm beach area is another story. The election officials down there have been breath takingly corrupt. This was first showcased in the 2000 recount between Bush and Gore. More recently one official “found” a few thousand ballots in the truck of his car during a recount of a close election. State officials have tried to clean this up, but it remains to be seen if the problem really has been eradicated.

The whole nationwide issue is how do local officials keep tabs and controls on the ballots. How are they issued? When are they counted? How do you prevent people from voting more than once? How do prevent the manufacture and counting of counterfeit ballots? How do you provide timely results? Some of the recent experiences with primary voting show that these are real issues.

GeneWright likes this.
  14. toughcoins

Frankly, I'm surprised this issue hasn't been challenged before on a constitutional basis.

Voting for local and state representation should be governed by local and state legislation. Voting for federal representation should absolutely not be governed by the individual states.

Only the federal government should be empowered to make and change how elections of federal officials are conducted. If that means that those elections become segregated from local and state elections, so be it, but a UNIFORM FORMAT for the election of federal representation is essential to maintaining the fairness in our system that was established by the forefathers.

Voter fraud is a form of theft - theft of representation (it dilutes everyone else's vote), and a crime. Thus, I am also in favor of instituting a serious disincentive against voting fraud. I think a very appropriate penalty would be for votes cast by anyone indicted for voting fraud shall immediately be suspended from the count until exonerated. Votes cast by anyone convicted of voting fraud, shall have the votes cast on their part invalidated. Further that citizen shall forfeit eligibility to register to vote in all future federal elections.

JohnHamilton likes this.
  15. GeneWright

Where do you stand on the dilution of votes through excessive partisan gerrymandering? We've seen a lot of examples where district lines are drawn in such a way that it splits up 1 party while consolidating disparate factions of another. Would you consider this another form of voter fraud?

I also reject the notion that the federal government should run elections for itself. The only reason we have a federal government is our union of states agree to ratify it. On that basis, the process to elect officials to represent that union makes most sense to be administered by each member state. In this way, we foster a sense of legitimacy for the union that each state government has elected on it's own terms.

16. GeneWright

I appreciate the input. Is it possible in your mind to fix the issues you see in other areas? What kind of "controls" for how ballots are sent and received in your area are you referring to?

17. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

You have to make an application to vote at-home to get an absentee ballot. You just don’t have a form set you automatically. That way the Election Office can match your name and address with their voting roles to make sure that you really exist. When you seal the envelope that contains that ballot, you have to sign the back. My wife says they can match the signatures with what they have on-file electronically. She is a retired computer programmer, and she almost took a job in that role in the election office when we first moved down here. Also, the signature across the seal is another anti-tampering device.

I have read that the state sent out many ballots in a Utah primary which became a disaster. There blank ballots all over the place in boxes and elsewhere. There was very little evidence that any control procedures were in place. That is a sure invitation to fraud.

I know there are those who say people should be allowed to vote with no effort. The system can’t work that way if it is going to fair and honest. You need to prove that you are still alive and eligible to vote, which requires some effort on the part of the voter. Otherwise, it’s just chaos.

18. toughcoins

Yeah, I too have a problem with gerrymandering. Both parties employ it to advantage, and I think that such calculatedly underhanded tactics are unrepresentative. I need to give more thought to what I think would be a fair way to resolve this issue. The dividing lines between districts will always be a bone of contention as long as differences in demographics exist, and they always will. Ameliorating that issue to the satisfaction of all concerned will be difficult, if not impossible.

This is categorically incorrect. The federal government was formed only for two reasons . . . to provide for the common defense and to resolve difference between the states. One of the major differences immediately apparent to the framers was the potential for disproportionate influence between different states as represented in the Continental Congress. Just as the Constitution instructs that fairness be preserved in electing the president via the electoral college - a federal accounting for the differences in represented states - so should it ensure that elections are conducted in the same manner among all of the states.

19. toughcoins

My opinion, for what it's worth (I don't care what JN thinks, and can't see his vomited response anyway . . . ) a vote with no effort is a vote not worth having.

JohnHamilton likes this.
  20. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation Patron Saint of Idiots

How about a jar full of jelly beans at the polling site? All you have to do to vote is guess the number of jelly beans in the jar. Would that be worth bringing back to satisfy the "effort" you really want people to go through to exercise their right to vote? Always roadblocks with the Right wingers. They don't believe in democrisy.