Looking for Input

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Takiji, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

Perhaps some of the Christians here can give me some help. I'm looking for Biblical support for Dr Carson's assertion that the great pyramids of Egypt were constructed as granaries. I have found none. In fact, I can find no mention in the Bible of the pyramids at all except by implication.

On the other hand, most archeologists, along with the ancient Egyptians themselves, seem to be of the opinion that these structures were built as tombs rather than granaries. Yet Dr Carson asserts that the Joseph of the OT along with the Judeo-Christian God were behind the project and that they built them to store grain. Any ideas on this?

Also, Dr Carson asserts that there are scientists who believe that aliens (other than Israelites) were on the scene to help the Egyptians out with the pyramids. I'm not to sure about that one either, but that's kind of an aside.

IQless1 likes this.
  2. IQless1
    Blah

IQless1 trump supporters are scum

Hey Tak.

Yeah, the alien(s) built a star-gate...it's in that movie...

...and, it reduced unemployment. :cool:

Takiji likes this.
  3. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

I
    heheh The Bible and a scifi movie. Of the two, the movie is probably the more reliable source.

4. Daniel Jones
    Bashful

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Evidence mostly indicates the pyramids were meant to be tombs for the pharaohs. Those ancient Egyptians considered the pharaoh as a god, so they put a lot of effort into building their shrine. Regarding crack pot beliefs, and odd statements, Carol Mosley Braun once said when the Martian rovers get to Mars, they should stop by the flag Neil Armstrong planted there. So, you lefties can be just as "dumb". Sorry.

5. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

I think that the difference is that when/if Braun was informed of her error she would say something along the lines of oops, that was a stupid mistake and move on. Dr Carson on the other hand does no such thing. He refuses to back down and keeps on repeating his BS.

Also, Dr Carson appears to be referring the the pyramids at Giza. They were apparently built roughly 1,500 years before Joseph is alleged to have been on the scene. So for Joseph to be involved in their construction would be a pretty neat trick even for someone who was on the Judeo-Christian deity's A List. But I suppose Dr C. has an explanation for that. Or his supporters do.

IQless1 likes this.
  6. Daniel Jones
    Bashful

I think Ben Carson is a 7 day adventist. I don't know too much about these various factions of Christianity, so you will have to forgive my ignorance here. Also, I could be wrong in saying Carol said that. If memory serves me right, it actually was Sheila Jackson Lee. Regardless, I would be happy if Bozo the clown was governing us if he did it properly, as I know many to most people just want our nation governed the way we think best, regardless who is governing it.

7. David

David Proud Enemy of Hillary

And you can be certain of this how?

8. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

I can't be at least based on what I know about her and the alleged statement, which if you read above, may in fact have been spoken by someone else.

But I have no reason to doubt her general rationality and I can't see a rational person continuing to insist, Ben Carson-like, that Armstrong planted a flag on Mars even after it had been demonstrated to him or her that such an assertion was total nonsense.

IQless1 likes this.
  9. Daniel Jones
    Bashful

20 years ago, we were governed by a serial adulterer, and habitual liar, but the Democrats were mostly supportive of him because he implemented policies favorable to them, so whether or not leaders have character flaws, people still find reasons to support them.

10. Daniel Jones
    Bashful

For the record, I do remember it was Sheila, and she was soon afterwards corrected, thus humbly apologized.

Takiji likes this.
  11. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. By acknowledging her mistake, she only did as most normal people would do. I think Braun would have done the same thing under the circumstances (but I don't know for sure, Davey).

12. Recusant
    Spaced

Recusant Member

Given the way this story has morphed in this thread, I have to ask, do you have a reputable source that supports your assertion that Sheila Jackson Lee "humbly apologized"?

The source of the original claim was reporter Sandy Hume, who said that an unnamed somebody had told him the anecdote. People who were there at the time (including Republican Congressman Vernon Ehlers) deny that the question about the flag was asked.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Takiji likes this.
  13. Takiji

Takiji Well-Known Member

There are character flaws and there are character flaws. Lying to further what you've decided is God's greater truth is a problem for me. Somehow I don't think it would be much of a problem for Dr Carson.
    But luckily it's almost certainly academic. Almost.
    Thank you. This is research I should have done.

14. Daniel Jones
    Bashful

This occurred some years ago. I heard an audio tape of the incident, and I remember Sheila Jackson Lee somewhat laughed it off later on and slightly joked about it along with her apology. This does make for an interesting research project for any of us who want to confirm this, but I suppose we will have to search online, somewhere.

15. Daniel Jones
    Bashful

I don't know the specifics precisely, but I know we all have character flaws to some degree, and in some way. I personally would prefer a 7 day adventist as president to a serial adulterer, so long as he/she governs society in a proper way. We can debate who should be president based on which character we think is least problematic.

16. JoeNation
    Cheerful

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

It occurs to me that Carson's "stories" remind me of many of the badly written movies I've seen over the years. You know, the guy in the old west that is shot but then miraculously saved because the bullet hits his badge, or a bible, or some other supposedly impenetrable object. His knife story sounds exactly like that, a poorly written Hollywood plot twist.

As far as his beliefs in pyramids as grain silos, who knows where that could have come from? I'm not even saying that there isn't a possibility that it might be true, but what is the point of saying it anyway? In what context? What did it do for him to vocalize this idea? I have no idea.

However, when he said that Obama was never scrutinized like he is being scrutinized, I had to say whaaaaaaaat? Hey Ben, when have you been asked for your birth certificate? Not recently I'm betting. When has your pastor been demonized? When has anybody called you a Muslim? When have you been completely associated with a guy who was a radical when you were in grade school just because your knew him long after he was merely teaching college?

17. Daniel Jones
    Bashful

Curiosity has compelled me to search for that Sheila Jackson Lee comment on the Mars rover, and I have found conflicting reports on it, so I must leave it up to others to decide what to make of it unless/until proven otherwise.

18. JoeNation
    Cheerful

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

It was merely a "yeah, what about something else" comment anyway.

19. Recusant
    Spaced

Recusant Member

The source I cited was not at all sympathetic to Sheila Jackson Lee. If there had been any evidence other than Hume's report, I don't doubt they would have mentioned it.

Your recollection of a relatively obscure non-incident from nearly two decades ago is not going to cut it. I know that Rush Limbaugh can't get enough of this story, but he's not a reputable source for anything but his own self-important bloviations.

20. Daniel Jones
    Bashful

You could be correct, in that, this is a non story regardless of it's merit, so I will concede that. However, when it comes to integrity between Ben Carson and Hillary Clinton, we can decide who wins there, as well as how relevant that is, too.