Law Enforcement Budgets

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mopar Dude, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

Boy do I remember how impassioned the left was over defunding law enforcement summer before last….. Now I don’t agree much with ultra-left folks but I will give them one thing. By and large they aren’t imbeciles. Most are educated middle class folks so it stuns me that they couldn’t see the writing on the wall with this idiotic stance. We found out that a reduction in police presence is in direction correlation to a rise in crime. SURPRISE!…. Well, the victims of crime are voters and they have had enough. I see report after report of law enforcement budgets on the increase, thank heavens. I just wonder one thing. Are the increased budgets a direct response to the bruises the left received this last election cycle? And do they truly believe that we will entirely forget this idiotic dilemma next November?

yakpoo and Profiler like this.
  2. StankyBoy

StankyBoy Active Member

Did your area do anything?
    Town over shrugged it off. Their City PD just ignored the idiots because they likely realized how short the attention span of the lefties is. However, the city did hire multiple "Diversity, Equity, Inclusion" office workers.

Just across the river, my hometown is ignoring it entirely. The police ignoring the protestors, the school committee rejecting mandatory masks, woke teachers leaving high school.. My town is holding it together.

Prayers for wherever you are.

yakpoo likes this.
  3. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

Did any area? I legitimately don't know of anywhere that cut their police budget. Which is the weird part of blaming an un-implemented policy proposal for a perceived rise in crime. If there was indeed a rise in a given area, I'd sooner blame it on financial conditions caused by covid. It's not like people want to be criminals on the whole, it's something that happens out of desperation.

What's funny is that police funding already averages around a third of any given city's budget in America, and yet even that's not enough. I'm not confident throwing even more of our money at them could make anything any better. Hence the rationale for taking some of the money away and reallocating it to new programs that may be more efficient. Ideally, maybe we could even address the root cause of crime, that desperation I referred to earlier.

4. Mopar Dude

I don’t think this is accurate. I do not have studies or data to back me up. What I can say is that as a very young man, I ran with the wrong crowd. I knew way too many fellows that had zero interest in making anything of themselves and committed crimes simply for kicks. It was their fix. One night maybe going through a neighborhood slicing tires. The next night breaking into someone’s home…… Now I’m not proud that I ran with a crowd like that but I did and desperation was not their motivation at all. It was the thrill.

5. Mopar Dude

Quite honestly….. I don’t sit and watch news anymore. I am so disgusted with all of it for reasons we have all talked to death about here. I have a news Ap on my phone and I typically read a lot of headlines from innumerable news sources. If the headline grabs me, I read up to the point that the piece goes from journalism to opinion and then I move on…… And my initial post was one gleaned from headlines that I have gleaned over the months.

6. GeneWright

You're right, there could definitely be other factors at play, especially once the behavior is started. I should say, what I think initially gets people into these situations is desperation. Did you and this group have a stable home life? Was the group comprised of those who otherwise had stable jobs and did this as a night hobby? Do you think you or them would have ended up in these groups of you had easybaccess to education? College, trade school, etc.

Slightly off topic question, was this the 80's? I wasn't around but the way people tell stories about the 80's (including my parents) make the 80's sound like the Mad Max series was a documentary. Like, there were no rules in the 80's for some reason. I've heard it connected to leaded gasoline before, but ehhhhhh I don't know about that.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  7. Mopar Dude

Yeah… It was the eighties. During my rock star days. I wasn’t one that got his kicks doing criminal activities. In fact that has always been a repulsive thought to me… But it was a big recreational activity of many in the crowd that I was associated with. No, by and large these were not educated folks as far as I know….. Some folks get their kicks drinking or drugging. Some folks get their kicks sleeping with all the women they can seduce…. And some get their kicks tearing up hard working peoples belongings. And I doubt it was any different in the 80’s than it is now other than I believe it is more prevalent these days. Why else would BLM folks tear up businesses? Why would guys dress up like cavemen before they broke into the capital on January 6th? It’s for the adrenaline rush. It’s really as simple as that.. And when you reduce societal standards as we have of late, you can’t help but to increase the negative behavior that fuels these peoples rush.

8. Profiler

Profiler Well-Known Member

You don’t know anywhere that cut their police budget? Are you serious? Here’s a short list: upload_2021-11-18_23-36-17.jpeg
    Let’s look at arguably the first place this movement started.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...ding-the-police-amid-rising-crime-11622066307

ddddd likes this.
  9. GeneWright

I lived in Minneapolis, it never got cut. You're list is just cities that had it "on the table"

And Mayor Frey was never going to cut budgets in Minneapolis. He campaigned on raising them. Despite his efforts, there was a recent vote this month in minneapolis to reallocate money from the police to new orgs. It didn't pass.

10. ddddd

ddddd Well-Known Member

Quite a few big cities cut police funding. At the same time, the politicians (mayors) in those cities spent millions on protecting themselves (of course using tax payer funds).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adaman...-their-own-police-protection/?sh=16b3e592d86b

Mopar Dude likes this.
  11. clembo

clembo Well-Known Member

I can surmise that some budgets have been trimmed. I can also surmise some of that is self inflicted.

12. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

That’s pure semantics GW, and you should acknowledge that. While budgets for the ensuing years had not yet been established at the time of and shortly after the riots, police funding from existing budgets was substantially “clawed back” . . . Effectively the same thing.

13. GeneWright

Yeah, but the existing budget proposal it was pulled back from was largely from a 250% increase in overtime budget Frey had put out. They barely lost any net funding. If you adjust for the entire budget being lower across the board due to covid, they actually gained money as a percent.

14. toughcoins

This is not about actual changes in year-to-year annual budgets. It is about operating on reduced funding and the resultant increase in criminal activity.

15. GeneWright

I don't think reduced funding adequately explains an increase in criminal activity as the decrease in funding, ignoring year to year changes, was negligible in Minneapolis. It was less a "decrease" and more a "not increase as much as we originally thought"

16. toughcoins

I don’t think 7% is negligible, particularly when half the year had elapsed already so, effectively, it probably hurt more like a 14% cut.

https://images.app.goo.gl/HBi5zZoQBGN6KD5z9

Not completely, but general liberal support for violent expression, or the lack of criticism of same, combined with what amounts to a substantial cut in patrol funding and the public perception that the cuts were even deeper certainly goes a long sway toward emboldening the ne'er-do-wells.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  17. yakpoo
    Amused

yakpoo Well-Known Member

They think we've forgotten the fraudulent impeachment trials and the Mueller fiasco, too. Pelosi never increased capitol security on January 6th, while the FBI has agitators in the crowd urging people to storm the Capitol. Now we have to watch as these people are brutalized by our government. It's truly shameful. This is the face of Tyranny.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  18. yakpoo
    Amused

yakpoo Well-Known Member

Before the 2020 election, the Left bragged about how they were going to use Union organizing tactics of the '20s and '30s to push forward their agenda. I guess they weren't bluffing.