Is Religion Just Another Type of Addiction?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by JoeNation, Sep 23, 2019.

1. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

We are all acquainted with the famous saying by Karl Marx that states, "Religion is the opiate of the masses." You have to ask yourself what are the similarities religion has to drug addiction? Back when I was growing up, there were people that would suddenly do a 180 degree life change after being exposed to some religious narrative. We used to call them Jesus freaks even though we basically worshiped the same deity as they did. They were just all of the sudden different than they were the day before and in an almost Stepford Wife kind of trance. It was creepy.
    I had a sister that went through that kind of change and she was no dummy to begin with. It wore off eventually but it took weaning her off of the substance she seemed to crave, that substance being religion. There have been no shortage of modern-day Christian cults from David Koresh and the Branch Davidians to Jim Jones and Jonestown. Christianity is be no means immune from cult following nor is any other religion for that matter. I know someone personally whose parents brought their own daughter into a Christian cult and basically gave her to the leader of the cult when she was a teenager. She eventually escaped and her parents rejected her as a result.
    When does a religious belief crossover into the cult status? Why are people so prone to becoming addicted to spiritual leaders that they forsake their own offspring? Should we treat religious addiction like any other physical addiction? Where is the line?

2. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Active Member

Religion crosses the line to cult status when freewill is taken from the worshiper. Simple as that. A cult based religion is more dangerous than opiate addiction.

I view the world from my own experiences. I had mentioned before I was a minor league rock star. I left that world when my first son was born because I couldn't raise a son with all the peripheral crap that surrounded the music scene...... The drummer from that group had three DUI's in the year following the groups break up. I very literally found him and his Moped scooter in the gutter one day quite by accident. I brought him home with me for a few days and took him to church that weekend. I didn't see him again for four years. The man was filled with Christian spirit and was playing drums again for a very popular Christian rock band. In fact, he still is. He tours regularly and is a huge proponent of providing drinkable water to unfortunate kids worldwide. I'll leave it at that. Without his permission I don't want to give him away on a public forum. I will say that you have likely heard his music played. It still gets me deep down when I think of his transformation.

Was that religious addiction? Heck, I don't know. What I do know is that my good friend wouldn't be with us today without it.

JohnHamilton likes this.