I'm not surprised this is happening...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CoinBlazer, Oct 9, 2019.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer de omnibus dubitandum

UNITED NATIONS
    Published 1 hour ago
    UN sounds alarm on cash crisis, warns it may default on bills by month’s end.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/un...s-warns-it-may-default-on-bills-by-months-end
    “Stressing the Charter obligation of Member States, the Secretary-General thanked the Member States who have paid their regular budget assessments, which is now 129, and urged those who have not paid to do so urgently and in full,” the statement said. “This is the only way to avoid a default that could risk disrupting operations globally. The Secretary-General further asked governments to address the underlying reasons for the crisis and agree on measures to put the United Nations on a sound financial footing.”

2. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Active Member

The UN does run some good humanitarian agencies, but it is also run very inefficiently with some very blotted salaries. The organization has often not worked the way it was intended, but there was not a great chance that it would, given the powers allotted to the great powers.

I am not a negative toward the UN as some conservatives, but U.S. has footed a lot of bill for it for a long time and not received the credit it deserves for doing so.

3. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Active Member

I have long felt the US carried an unfair share of the burden for the UN’s activities...... Call me a fool, but if I am buying dinner I do expect a thank you in return. Thing is, in this day and time once you foot the bill it then becomes expected of you. And that is precisely what has happened with the UN.

4. JoeNation
    Angelic

JoeNation FOX Lies, GOP buys!

We contribute 22% of the UN's budget. That is 1.2 billion a year. A literal rounding error for a country as rich as the U.S. We crow like we are the end-all-be-all. What a joke. It was never about the money.

5. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer de omnibus dubitandum

I'm not sure about the accuracy on that, the source claims that
    the official said. “Overall the United States, as the largest contributor to the UN, contributes roughly $10 billion annually in assessed and voluntary contributions across the United Nations system.”

JohnHamilton likes this.
  6. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Active Member

These numbers are correct for 2017, which is last year that data are available. It breaks down to $3.7 billion in assessments and $7 billion on voluntary contributions.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019