Honest Question for Non-Believers

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Mopar Dude, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

This is a genuine question. I caught myself this morning doing this....... If I am in general conversation with you. And lets say in that conversation you said something like, well my wife is sick.... Something along those lines. Anytime I am met with a situation like this, I always respond, "I'll include her in my prayers". And it is a genuine response from me. I do include that person in my evening prayer. More so it is my way of indicating a level of sympathy toward your wife's illness........ So say you aren't a person of faith and that conversation takes place. Do you find that offensive?

2. JoeNation
    No Mood

JoeNation The ReichWing Abuser

I find it a quaint expression. I like, "I will send your wife good thoughts".

Enough! and Mopar Dude like this.
  3. JoeNation
    No Mood

In my mind, I know that neither praying for someone nor sending them good thoughts does any good at all realistically but there is no point in not being positive and supportive of someone else going through a tough time.

How about the expression "Bless you" after someone sneezes? It is said quite often. How does it make believers feel when some says "Gesundheit" instead, which literally means "Health"? After all, sneezing is more closely related to your health than it is related to any religion.

I liken many of these expressions to habit more than anything else. No one is trying to push their religious beliefs on me when they say "Bless you". One instance that I had to adjust to years ago, was wishing people a Merry Christmas. It was just automatic that time of year. Then one day a Jewish friend of my wife was introduced to me and I of course wished her a Merry Christmas because I had no idea she was Jewish. She politely corrected me but I never assumed anyone wanted to be wished a Merry Christmas again. I was wrong and I adapted. That's all we can do.

I've had people tell me that I have no right to celebrate Christmas because I am not a Christian. I politely tell then that I'm only in it for the mass consumerism, which is far from the truth but also closer to what the vast majority of Christians spend their time doing at Christmas anyway.

4. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

I too am guilty of a "bless you" if you sneeze near me. And though there is no scientific merit behind the power of a prayer or good wishes, I long have believe there is power in positive thinking. In fact, I attribute a great deal of my business' success to exactly that. Never for one second allowing the thought of failure enter my mind.

It might surprise you to know I was crippled in 1999-2001. Not being a doctor, best I can tell you is that the base of my spine separated from my buttbone. No idea why. It just happened. As a result the nerves that went down my legs were pinched off. I could only walk 8-10 steps at a time...... Finally a surgeon who I still believe is a miracle worker decided he could do surgery but I had to go to classes because there was a 50/50 chance I could wake up paralyzed from the waist down or incontinent..... Fact is, I made my peace with God and chose that I would not accept anything other than full recovery. Mind you, post surgery was the hardest six months of my life, but full recovery is what I received. In 2003 I ran the marine corps mud run and placed well. If you ever have the opportunity, look at the statistics of folks that have had major back surgery. There is a very low success rate for most. I attribute my success to my prayer, those that were praying for me... And mostly my will to succeed which was born of prayer.

There was a book that was making the rounds some years back. I believe it was called The Secret. That book was all about the power of positive thinking. Literally willing yourself to achieve health and success. Now there were parts that were bit heady for me. But the entire gist of the thing was that there truly is power in positive thinking. And what is a prayer but positive thinking? I am a high school drop out that thought he was a rock star. I got no business running a very successful company and doing 5-6 figure deals daily. Heck, I can't play scrabble with the kids without a calculator. But here I am.... Call it prayer or call it positive thinking. I will tell you there is power in it. I am walking proof of that.

JoeNation likes this.
  5. JoeNation
    No Mood

Briefly, I think that the human mind is capable of incredible things that we either forgot or have yet to tap into. We are not as evolved as we think we are. I think that the human brain has the ability to heal the body and that it might be through positive thoughts that we achieve healing. Who knows.

Enough! and Mopar Dude like this.