Gravity

Discussion in 'World Events' started by freshmeat, Feb 6, 2014.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat Active Member

Undeniably a world event. We really don't know all that much for sure about it. Can't wait to hear what the deniers claim :D

2. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Um but how do you KNOW it is a event ?

3. freshmeat

freshmeat Active Member

By definition :)

e·vent (ĭ-vĕnt′)
    n.
    a. Something that takes place; an occurrence.
    b. A significant occurrence or happening.

Not only that, it gets us all eventually :D

4. rlm's cents
    Hot

rlm's cents Well-Known Member

know (nō)
    v. knew (no̅o̅, nyo̅o̅), known (nōn), know·ing, knows
    v.tr.
    1. To perceive directly; grasp in the mind with clarity or certainty.
    2. To regard as true beyond doubt: I know she won't fail.

5. IQless1
    Blah

IQless1 trump supporters are scum

Gravity is attractive.

It's really attractive when you're drunk, and in more ways than one! :eek:

6. freshmeat

freshmeat Active Member

point? relevance?

7. rlm's cents
    Hot

rlm's cents Well-Known Member

These!

8. IQless1
    Blah

Earthquakes, tsunami's, airplane crashes, etc.

9. freshmeat

freshmeat Active Member

Don't bother, I don't think science is their forte.

10. IQless1
    Blah

It's just the word "event" they're wondering about. Gravity certainly causes some spectacular events, but as an "event" in-and-of itself, it's too deep for most people to even think about.

From my perspective, gravity, that mutual attraction between various objects, is the catalyst for the beginning of life in an otherwise sterile universe.

Even so, I'm still not sure I'd call it an event, unless you're saying some mysterious force directed it to exist?

11. freshmeat

freshmeat Active Member

Hey, it wasn't a trick question, nor a stab at semantics. It takes place, or you float away :) No ifs ands nor buts about it.

12. IQless1
    Blah

Semantics is important, otherwise people get confused. ;)

Believe me when I say that I've sowed a lot of confusion in my life, in others as well as myself, due to the numerous occasions where I used an improper word to describe my thoughts and opinions.

So is gravity an event? IMO, not in everyday life, not as an event in-and-of itself. Yes, I'm taking it for granted that it exists...and good thing too, 'cause if it didn't my pee would be all over the place. Yuck. :oops:

13. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Rain can be a event, a football match can be a event but I think that gravity is a constant, it is not something that takes place as such it is something that is ever present. If you think about it you will see there is a difference. Now if there was no gravity I think you might find that we might just die of lack of air :D

14. freshmeat

freshmeat Active Member

Not sure I have ever seen were 'ever presence' rules out either occurrence, happening or event. So happens the event of gravity happens to occur, enjoy. Rejoice even.

15. IQless1
    Blah

16. toughcoins

toughcoins Well-Known Member

In the bigger picture, gravity on Earth exists as long as the Earth does . . . Not necessarily forever. Therefore, it's quite possible that gravity may indeed be an event.

In the micro-view, however, where our perception is that it does not change in our lifetimes, Gravity exists in perpetuity, and is not an event.

So, is it an event or not?