Conservative values

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GeneWright, Aug 17, 2020.

1. GeneWright

GeneWright Well-Known Member

If you abhor violence on the part of the police, we may be more aligned than I realized. I'm not talking about in response to protests be clear, I'm talking about excessive force like unloading 7 bullets at point blank into a man's back, kneeling on a person's neck until they're dead, jumping to shoot with lethal force so often in day to day circumstances.

If you do abhor that, please help push for systemic change that doesn't allow these incidents to happen. And when they do happen, for police to not get away with it by getting only a suspension or desk duty.

2. SmalltownMN
    Doh

SmalltownMN Active Member

Still no excuse for the actions taking place. What do you think about last night's "protests" in your very city? These people are using any excuse to riot, loot, destroy and it is utter bullshit! This is your city we're talking about, Gene!

3. SmalltownMN
    Doh

Until you acknowledge cause and effect, we will get nowhere.

I for one am sick to death of people blaming all of this on the police. The police aren't driving around looking for innocent people to kill!!!! Wake up and smell the coffee, would ya? The police were called to all of these scenes for a reason and once there, people start making choices that affect the outcome. George Floyd was on drugs and passed dirty money and when the police came he resisted arrest. Jacob Blake was not supposed to be where he was at and when the police came he resisted arrest. Rayshard Brooks was drunk and passed out in a drive thru and when the police came he resisted arrest.

Can you acknowledge and agree with any of the above??

4. GeneWright

Here's what I think you're missing:

-Black people are killed at a higher rate than any other ethnicity

-white people can resist arrest and still not get killed

-the police aren't supposed to kill people at all, their literal job is to bring people in so they can be tried for their crimes with due process

Mopar Dude likes this.
  5. GeneWright

I think it hurts.

But if you think it's just about a single misunderstanding you're wrong. Public trust is so little due to the actions of the authorities here that people have no doubt a rumour about it is real. They shouldn't have done it, they should have waited to learn about the situation, but the city isn't free from blame.

6. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

The piece of this puzzle that is lost in all the noise these days is this.... When you don’t participate in activities that attract police attention, whether you are white, black, red or brown then you don’t have negative interactions with the police. Yes, it really is just that simple.

SmalltownMN likes this.
  7. SmalltownMN
    Doh

My lord, you are just like my step son. Still no acknowledgement and shift blame elsewhere.

Dancing Gene at it again.

8. SmalltownMN
    Doh

Now we're getting somewhere.............an acknowledgement. If you can do this elsewhere, we can start having real world conversations!

9. SmalltownMN
    Doh

Shifting the blame again, though............... tsk, tsk

10. GeneWright

I wish that were the case, but having darker skin is often enough to attract the attention of the police. I'd like that addressed too, but for now all we're pushing for is the end of extra-judicial killings. Police kill around 1000 people per year in our country, isn't that bad regardless of race involved?

11. SmalltownMN
    Doh

Nope.............hell no. Why can't you acknowledge that people are doing things illegal that are bringing the police to them??

Mopar Dude likes this.
  12. Mopar Dude

Yes... Any death is a tragedy. And if we expect police to make a concession, then it isn’t reasonable to expect ourselves to make a concession. I won’t participate in shady activities if you won’t shoot me.... When two sides cannot find common ground, we compromise..... We ask these men and women to keep our neighborhoods and our schools safe for our families. And we ask them to do it for a mere pittance. So compromise then. Cops don’t shoot people that aren’t running. Cops don’t shoot people that are acting polite. I don’t think compromise is too much to ask.

SmalltownMN likes this.
  13. GeneWright

Okay, to get on the same page, a question for you both. Do you think racism is a thing of the past?

14. Mopar Dude

No... And it never will be. Just like the poor and impoverished. They will always be with us. It is our duty as an individual to do something about that. It is ordained in us as a species to improve our own slice of this world. You cannot legislate your version of morality on a people any more than you can force me to be a vegetarian. It is our moral obligation though to improve things where we live...... You will never eradicate racism. Ask any Jew. They have lived with it for three thousand years. You can however set the standard for those around you to follow.

SmalltownMN likes this.
  15. SmalltownMN
    Doh

Absolutely not, it is a stain on this world that will not go away in our lifetimes.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  16. GeneWright

So, can you see how maybe that racism that will "never" or "not in our lifetimes" go away could get into police work?

And while it's not all police officers, it's enough that people of color have noticed the effects?

And also while it's not uniquely a police issue at all, it's uniquely deadly when police are involved?

Not to forget that this isn't anywhere near a new issue, all that's changed is people of color are tired of dying and finally getting a mainstream voice.

So, add that all together, and maybe you can understand the rage and destruction? If not from a moral standpoint, can you understand it on an emotional standpoint? People are scared because they are being killed in the streets at higher rates due to the color of their skin.

17. SmalltownMN
    Doh

I have no problem acknowledging the fact that racism is and always has been an issue in this country. I also acknowledge that there are bad cops out there and probably always will be.

You still have not acknowledged a big piece of this puzzle.

Have you ever heard the expression "it takes two to tango"?

18. GeneWright

Alright, sure. In a lot of cases the police are there in the first place due to a person committing a crime. But here's the catch:

Person A: commits crime, gets tackled/tazed/talked down while resisting

Person B: commits crime, gets shot with lethal force at first sign of perceived resistance

We're seeing that situation play out far too often where the only difference between A and B is the color of their skin. So, shouldn't we work on that?

19. SmalltownMN
    Doh

See what I've bolded in both scenarios above? That is the first thing that needs work at the individual level.

Perceived resistance? What kind of cop out is that? You're either resisting or you're not, there's hardly any grey area, especially when it's physical. Did you see the videos from the Kenosha shooting? Would you call that "perceived" resistance?

Not acknowledging that there was any fault on the victims part to begin with and downplaying the role that they played in the tragedy is what the mainstream media is doing and it appears that you're on board with that.

20. GeneWright

No, I'm acknowledging it. What I'm trying to say is the response to resistance has a pattern of changing based on the color of the person's skin who is resisting.