American Quality during the "Plague"?

Discussion in 'Chatter' started by Robert Ransom, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Active Member

I'm pondering the replacement of my home oil fired furnace and considering all of the products are on back-order due to many possible reasons, I wondered if the quality standards were being closely monitored. The lack of personnel and the large number of orders may compromise the building process. If this happens, we have the current administration to blame.

2. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

I'll tell you that in my industry, we and our customers are scrambling to find alternate components/ materials we / they can approve as adequate in place of the optimally selected components/ materials, just to barely satisfy the specifications and meet our production commitments. What that means is that while the warranted performance is unlikely to be impacted, the robustness of the product may not be what it previously was. Said differently, a product which has a 10 year warranty, but often lasted 12-16 years, now will still carry the same 10 year warranty, and may last only 10 - 12 years.

I'll also tell you that I am dead certain the exact same compromises are being made in all industries, and across all international boundaries.

Good luck with your decision. If you can find an overstocked older model with a great reputation (something with a manufacturing date pre-dating COVID), that might be your best avenue.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  3. Mopar Dude

Mopar Dude Well-Known Member

My business supplies and installs commercial construction materials. Most certainly quality has taken a turn for the worse. Manufacturers have all us pushing them to ship late product. They rush it through with minimal manufacturing staff and we end up with materials that don’t fit. Don’t have mounting lugs installed. Unfinished laminate panels. All manner of quality control issues. One of my big product lines is wall lockers in schools. Manufacturing in the US had all but ceased and these manufacturers are shipping lower quality product from China and putting their labels on it just to fulfill requirements. That adds additional problems because in construction nothing ends up as planned so when we need components to finish a project, we have to wait for shipping to arrive from China. It’s all such a mess and will remain that way until we again teach young people the value of work.

4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Active Member

Trump had it right, bring mfg. back to the US and stop relying on cheap marginal components imported from China. I would rather pay more for a better product and have it last. The greedy CEO's and stockholders have caused this problem and until they face the facts, China had a hundred year plan to rule the world and this is one way to achieve their goal. I'm surprised the auto makers are not having their cars and trucks made in China.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  5. toughcoins

toughcoins Rarely is the liberal viewpoint tainted by realism

The transportation costs are too high . . . otherwise they would have.