A new medical announcement, social distancing now up to 13 feet distance instead of 6

Discussion in 'Chatter' started by JohnHamilton, Apr 12, 2020.

1. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

The medical doctor, Dr. Mark Siegel, on Fox News said this morning that the new distancing requirements should be 13 feet instead of 6. The claim is that some medical study found this to be necessary.

As reasonable is this might seem, it is unworkable. It would cut down the number of people that would be allowed in a grocery store at one time to the point where the line to get in would be worse than the situation it claims to fix.

Sure, you can have 10 people at a time in big store, but what you are going to do with the lines of people waiting to get in? If they must be 13 feet apart, the line would stretch to beyond the property boundaries of the shopping center. My brother in law and niece have stood in line for as long as an hour to get into the grocery store. Can you imagine if that line gets up to several hours? The cure will be worse than the disease.
    If this is coming from reputable sources, fine.

If it’s based on something from the Red Chinese are saying to hell with it!!!

The Red Chinese know that they have their boot on our throats. They are more than willing to press it harder. These people are not to be trusted. They have not acted honorably throughout this crisis. They would like nothing more than to cripple our economy more.

Mopar Dude likes this.
  2. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

You should trust science.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0885_article

True, it was a study conducted by a Chinese research team. However, the results are published in an American journal (Emerging Infectious Diseases) which is run by the CDC.

That means it was peer reviewed for accuracy by CDC scientists who are experts in the field. I know 13 feet isn't pleasant, or even being enforced anywhere as far as I know, but if you personally want to stay as safe as possible it is crucial to follow the advice of scientists.

3. JohnHamilton
    Pensive

JohnHamilton Well-Known Member

Well, Gene, if you want to go in that direction, have at it.

But if this whole thing gets more restrictive, none it is going to work because the people can't make work. If you have 13 feet between everybody in the grocery store, how long is the line outside if going to be if there is 13 feet between the every person, and how long are they going to have to wait?

There are some "experts" involved in this who more concerned about controlling people than the science. Some of them are really on a power trip.

4. GeneWright

GeneWright Active Member

I fully agree with you it's more restricting and difficult for people to maintain in practice. However, here's my key takeaways from the research paper:

1. Infectivity for this particular virus drops significantly beyond 13 feet

2. Infectivity at 6 feet is not significantly different than that of 1 foot.

Therefore, it could be inferred that a 6 foot social distancing measure is completely ineffective. This leaves us 2 options, try to maintain 13+ feet of distance or get rid of social distancing completely.

I do however think 13+ feet is best left to individuals to self-enforce. On a policy/governmental recommendation level, I believe advocating for 6+ feet is still helpful, if not always effective. At least in my personal experience, I don't aim for 6 feet exactly, just to be as far away as readonably possible. I think a lot of people are doing the same leading to lessened overall viral spread.